• Opticians

    Optical treatment tends to be provided by High Street Opticians, including Specsavers, Vision Express, Boots, David Clulow.

    A minimum charge for an NHS eye test will be made and most people have to pay the cost of glasses, frames and lenses.

  • Dentists

    There is an increasing shortage of NHS dentists in the UK and you may need to register with a private dental practice and pay for treatment.

    If you have a dental emergency, contact the dentist you are registered with. If you are not registered with a dentist obtain advice from NHS Direct on 111.

  • Doctors

    Under current rules anyone can register with a GP practice in England and receive free primary care. You will need to visit your local GP’s surgery to register and you should make them aware that you wish to register as an NHS patient.

    In order to establish entitlement, hospitals/GP practices can ask you to provide documentation that supports your claim that you intend to engage in employment in the UK or prove residency.

    These documents include a copy of your Tenancy Agreement, a valid work permit, proof of nationality, copies of vaccination records and routine medical tests.

    You will be required to provide documentation for each member of your family. On successful application you will receive an NHS number.
    Please be aware that many surgeries are heavily oversubscribed and you may need to seek an alternative choice of surgery.

    If you have problems getting an appointment with a GP for a minor illness or injury, then you can try a walk-in centre or a GP-led health centre. Registration is not required and patients do not need an appointment.

    Most centres are open 365 days a year and outside of office hours.

  • The National Health Service (NHS)

    If you are lawfully entitled to be in the UK, usually live here or are legally working in the UK you may be entitled to free NHS treatment. Your family members will also be able to get free treatment. However, they must be living with you throughout your stay to qualify.

    Like other UK residents, you will have to pay some NHS charges. These include prescriptions, some GP services, dental and optical treatment.

    Hospitals are responsible for checking who should pay for NHS hospital treatment. The hospital will ask you for evidence to prove that you intend to live in the UK permanently.

    Foreign nationals from EEA member states have bilateral healthcare arrangements for both dental and medical health care so can access the full range of NHS services using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

    Regardless of your residential status or nationality, you are entitled to free emergency NHS treatment from a GP practice, A&E department or NHS walk in centre.


    111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It is fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you, relieving the strain off of GPs and A&E departments.

    NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

    TTA Relocation will provide you with details of doctors, dentists, hospitals etc. close to your chosen place of residency once your Tenancy commences.

  • Health Care

    You and your family may be included in a Company Private Health Insurance Scheme whilst in the
 United Kingdom. Your HR Department will be able to advise you on the details.

    Private treatment as an alternative to the NHS is costlier but allows the patient much greater control over factors such as when and where treatment should take place. However, if this is not available to you the NHS may be able to provide you with healthcare free of charge.

    It is important to remember to bring all medical prescriptions, medical records, dental records, optician’s prescriptions and vaccination records with you to the UK.